Monday, January 18, 2010

Haiti Burning on My Heart



This last week, my heart has been set aflame for Haiti. Since the 7.0 earthquake hit Haiti last Tuesday, there has been a growing hunger to do something. I am getting to a point where I can no longer just read the reports and see the pictures of the people suffering in Haiti and not do something. I was praying to God to have mercy on Haiti. I even got to a point where I told God that if He wanted to teleport me to Haiti in my sleep so I could help people, I’d be willing. Last night I was up at midnight praying till 4am, and my heart was racing to do something. I felt like God asked me the question, “How much is one life worth?” As I pondered this question, thoughts of how there are so many of us who want to go to Haiti to help, but don’t have the money or the time. It struck me when God asked the question again, that even just one life would be worth going down to Haiti for a week where I would have to take the next year to pay it off on my credit card. One life would be worth not showering for a week. One life would be worth missing school for a week. One life would be worth missing a little sleep. One life would be worth taking the criticism of people saying this was crazy. It would still be worth it. One life is worth it all. One life is worth my own. So I’m going.

Right now I'm working on getting contacts who are already on the ground there. I would fly out Friday night (the 22nd) and return the following Saturday (the 30th). I'll land in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and hop on a bus over to Port au Prince, Haiti. I'm ready to do whatever it takes to help; distribute food and water, medical attention, move bodies, hug somebody, pray for people. I'm sure my EMT skills will come in handy and also some of the water purification tips I learned in YWAM. I'm going to take some medical supplies down and also power bars or something to distribute. All I have to give is myself for these people. The video above I hope inspires you to do something, either give or go.

If you'd like to give, on the left is the Paypal link that you can give into. Thanks for all your prayers, gifts and encouragement!

Janet

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Janet!!!!!!
I am so proud of you and my heart is burning for Haiti, you, and others there! You inspire me to trust God more and to do radical things for Him! I support you in this journey!

love from,

Ruth